Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Wrap-Up

This is it, my final post for 2011.

Highlights in my life this year include going to New Orleans, running a marathon, going to Chicago, and most of all watching these 5 good things grow.

Good Thing #1

This kid has had to grow up a lot. We expect a lot from him and require his help often. I'm grateful that I can put him in charge and that he follows through while babysitting for me. He is a smart kid who draws clever cartoons and reads like crazy. I'm proud of his confidence, he introduces himself as, "Jacob the Awesome" and is called "Gundy" at school this year. He has all sorts of ideas and is learning to program with his dad. I love that he will always give me a hug at night.
Good Thing #2

This kid makes me happy when he helps out his siblings. He likes sports and gets discouraged when he's not the best at something. He has high expectations for himself. He takes his time on projects has nice handwriting and is good at drawing. He also gives me hugs at night, usually 2 or more.
Good Thing #3

This kid is his own person. He has a tough will, you should see him at the dinner table. He has a fascination with maps, flags, and numbers. He will spend hours drawing and hours copying phone numbers and addresses from the phone book (and ward lists). He is also fascinated with area codes. This super interest has helped him learn to read better which makes me very happy. He used to play like crazy, now he draws and sorts and looks through informational books.
Good Thing #4

This sweet little kid can be the best helper in the family. She is starting to say funny things like, "Sometimes I follow my dreams and sometimes I don't" and "I have a hypothesis." For a while she would say, "Where is Elisabeth?" or "Mom, you left Elisabeth," while ducking down in her carseat (this stems from the incident when I left her at the Bean Museum). She plays like crazy with Gabe, if he's home she is in heaven. She likes to play with her "friends" (the little girl next door), and the one thing she wanted for Christmas was an Ariel barbie. I feel extremely blessed to have a daughter.
Good Thing #5

This kid was born sweet and has remained sweet. He copies his siblings like crazy, cuddles me incessantly, is often underfoot, wants to be held at the most inopportune times, will hold my hand only when I'm super busy and never when I need him to (like in the parking lot, the halls at church, store). He gives me kisses and hugs over and over again, and when I hold him he wants his hands tucked into me, not around my neck. I've started to call him my cuddlebug, to which he shakes his head and says, "no," but then laughs and continues to maul me.

Though 2011 didn't go exactly as I planned it (my plan would include my dear husband home more), I was reminded many times to be grateful for the many things I have, foremost a really hardworking husband, good health, many good children, a nice home, a great area to live in, and family and friends around me.

No comments: