Thursday, September 12, 2013

Throwback Thursday

After September 11, 2001 my mom like many others had a strong desire to be close to her children.  Her oldest was immediately sent to Qatar to set up an air strip for imminent attacks.  The next oldest was in San Diego in the Navy and another son was serving in Spain as an LDS missionary.  Her youngest was at college in the Midwest.  The rest of us were closer by.  She called me one morning and asked if I wanted to drive to Iowa with her to go surprise Katie.  I will be forever grateful that I got to do that with my mom.  In my whole life I hadn't spent that much time just one on one with her.   We spent the night in Nebraska then on to Iowa the next day, where we drove straight to my sister's soccer game.  It was a fun surprise, indeed.  While we were in the area we traveled to Nauvoo, Illinois.  We drove by the temple then down to the little stores and shops, which we found all to be closed.  We finally figured out what was going on when a handwritten note on a door said, "Up at the temple."  Back at the temple we were lucky to see the Angel Moroni being placed atop.  Great memories during an otherwise sad time.
Nauvoo. September 2001.

No comments: